If you have ever been in a car accident, those first moments after the impact are a blur. You are not sure what just happened, you are in shock, and you and your passengers may be hurt.
The first thing to remember is the health of everyone involved should be your first concern. Those that are injured need to seek medical care as soon as possible. After the injured are cared for, then reality sinks in, and you begin thinking more clearly about all the other things that play a role in your well-being.
Being as prepared as you can be before an accident will help you traverse the road ahead. You will need to deal with the other parties involved, work with insurance companies, and hire a lawyer to represent you. This is a crucial step if you want to get reimbursed for your out-of-pocket expenses, pain, and suffering.
What to Do If You Are in An Accident:
There are many resources on the internet that give you the step-by-step process to follow after an accident. Thebalance.com has a step-by-step tutorial of the information you should collect and the forms to fill out following the accident.
To make things easier, here is information from The National Law Review that is helpful and highlights the information a lawyer will need, should you seek legal representation.
Seven Steps to Protect Yourself if You Are in a Car Accident:
According to The National Law Review, these are steps you should take in you are involved in a car accident:
- Remain calm
- Get medical care for the injured
- Make sure that injured passengers get to the hospital. This is important for injuries that may not be evident, like spinal cord damage.
- It also provides clear evidence of when the accident and injuries took place.
- Contact your auto insurance and health insurance companies so they have a record of the accident
- Fill out and get a copy of the police report
- Contact your employer if you need time off work
- Do not accept a settlement from the other person’s insurance company before you see a lawyer
- Contact a car accident attorney
Experienced Auto Accidents Attorneys:
You must retain a lawyer that specializes in auto accidents. It is equally important to legal representation in the area where the accident occurred. Each city and state have its own rules when it comes to accidents. They each have their own protocols to follow after an accident. If you are looking for a Denver car accident lawyer, the firm of First Injury Help is experts in helping accident victims get the right settlement for their injuries.
Make sure that you are as prepared as possible in case of a car accident. Have your insurance agent on speed dial. You also need to have a list of the information you will need inside your glove box to help you following the crash.